Support the retired athletes of Parx Racing.
Support the PTHA’s Turning for Home program.
Support our mission of a safe retirement.
At Parx Racing, we’re proud to Take Care of Our Own.
We are a model program in the racing industry, and have helped hundreds of retirees find new homes and second careers, many of which are displayed on our ever-growing Success Story page. If you would like to see your retiring horse on our website’s Success Stories, Turning for Home is here to help.
Trainers and owners wishing to retire horses can visit the TFH office in the administration office on the backside, call the administrator at 215-808-7562, or send an email with the required paperwork attached (see below).
- Horse must be continuously stabled on the grounds of Parx Racing for 90 days prior to the time of application into TFH, or have raced in the last 30 days with a trainer that is based at Parx for at least six months of the year.
- Horses at training farms must have raced at Parx in the previous 30 days from application and must have raced over 50% of its races at Parx in the previous 365 days.
- TFH will keep the waiting list shorter than three weeks.
- Surgical cases move to the front of the waiting list.
- A horse may move to the front of the waiting list if the full placement of $2,500 is donated.
- Trainer or owner must complete the HORSE INTAKE FORM and RETIRED FROM RACING FORM (including notarization).
- Submit actual foal papers.
- Provide proof of current negative Coggins test.
- TFH representative will take 4-6 conformation photos for proper retirement from The Jockey Club.
- Veterinary evaluation, including a screening set of radiographs for some horses, plus any additional required diagnostics for those horses retiring due to injury.
- No intact males can be placed until they have been gelded. The only exception is for horses on strict stall rest, and only then will castration be scheduled for a reduced rate by TFH or its affiliated retirement organizations at the owner’s cost.
- A deposit of $100.00 per horse is required to help offset the cost of shipping the retired horse to the farm. This must be paid prior to the horse leaving for a TFH Partner Farm.
- By delivering a horse to TFH, the owner agrees to transfer complete ownership of the donated horse to TFH.
- Liability and Risk of Loss and expenses for the care of the horse remain with the donor until the horse leaves the grounds to go to a TFH Partner Farm.
Re: Parx Racing’s Zero Tolerance Policy Towards Horsemen Responsible for Sending Horses to Auction/Slaughter/Kill Buyers
Any owner, member of an owner partnership, or trainer who is found responsible for sending a horse or horses to auction where they could be purchased by dealers/kill buyers for slaughter, or for sending a horse to slaughter will have his/her backstretch privileges revoked, will be denied entry to race for all horses owned in whole or in partnership, and said horses must be removed immediately from the Parx backstretch.
In the event that ownership of horse(s) is transferred, the transfer must be to a third party who is not family related to the original owner/owners, and an affidavit must be signed by the third party attesting to that fact.