Trainer Health Insurance
Trainer Eligibility for Health Insurance
(9-16-2020- the PTHA Board voted to reduce eligibility to 10 starts only for 2020)
- The trainer must be in good standing with the PTHA to obtain and retain health benefits; AND
- The trainer must have 15 starts at Parx Racing in either the current or previous calendar year (65% of a trainer’s annual total starts must have occurred at Parx Racing); OR
- The trainer must have a full barn of horses stabled at Parx Racing; OR
- The trainer must have 100 starts at Parx Racing during the current or previous calendar year.
- NOTE: If a trainer gives up a trainer’s license to become a stable employee, said former trainer will be covered for six months until eligible for benefits under the PTHA Stable Employee Benefits as a stable employee as long as the former trainer is employed full time for an eligible trainer.
Trainer Eligibility for Pension
- A trainer must be in good standing with the PTHA to obtain and retain eligibility for the pension plan; AND
- A trainer must have a minimum of 15 starts (65% of the annual total starts must have been at Parx Racing); OR
- A trainer must have had at least 100 starts at Parx Racing; OR
- A trainer must occupy an entire barn at Parx Racing.
A trainer that is currently racing at Parx Racing and is eligible as noted above will receive an amount per start as determined by the PTHA Board of Directors for his/her yearly contribution. On an annual basis, the per-start amounts will be reviewed by the PTHA Board of Directors to determine future amounts based on fund availability.
In order to collect retirement benefits the trainer must 1) be at least 65 years old, or 2) disabled as defined by Social Security or 3) have died.